The best VPNs for Apple TV in 2021 will be determined. Can’t get Netflix on your Apple TV with a VPN? Is this the correct guide for you? For setting up a VPN on your Apple TV, check out my 6 super easy settings.
There is no question that Apple TV offers one of the most immersive content streaming experiences in the world. However, despite its overwhelming popularity, fixing a VPN for Apple TV is often a difficult task due to the lack of built-in VPN support.
If you don’t know, many of your favorite streaming services like HBO Now, FOX Sports Go, BBC iPlayer, Netflix are all geo-blocked. This is often why using a VPN on Apple TV is important to bypass these restrictions and watch your favorite TV shows.
Don’t worry though, during this blog, I’m going to tell you 5 simple methods to use a VPN on your Apple TV, as well as the 6 best VPNs to use on Apple TV.
But first, a quick overview of the simplest VPNs for Apple TV.
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for Apple TV. It’s capable of providing lag-free video streaming.
- NordVPN: Inexpensive VPN compatible with Apple TV. It offers many features to help you avoid aggressive geoblocks.
- Surfshark – Cheapest VPN for Apple TV streaming. from as low as $ 2.49 / month
- PureVPN – Affordable VPN for Apple TV. Offers fast transmission speeds at reduced prices.
- Ivacy – Decent, comprehensive Apple TV VPN with 2000+ servers in 100+ locations and strong security measures.
- CyberGhost – A powerful VPN with 6500+ global servers for your Apple TV.
Apple TV VPN Setup
Simply put, there are essentially 5 ways you will use an AppleTV VPN. Since there is no VPN app for Apple TV (the operating system does not support VPN software), you will need to believe in one of the methods mentioned below:
1# Method: configure VPN on a physical router (tricky)
2# Method: Buy a preconfigured router VPN (recommended)
3# Method: set up a virtual router (easy)
4# Method: use a VPN without a router via Airplay (easy)
5# Method: Last but not least, update your DNS (least recommended)
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get started …
Method 1: Set up a virtual private network (VPN) on a physical router
Since there is no offer you provide to use a VPN on your Apple TV, you would first like to set up the VPN of your choice directly on your router. Although I need to warn you, it is often a bit difficult.
- Sign up for a VPN that supports Apple TV.
- You can use a DD-WRT router or any router that supports PPTP, OpenVPN, or IKEv2 protocol
- Now go to your router’s gateway settings and type “192.168.1.1” into the address bar
- Restart your router to find your username and password printed on the label
- Through your router settings, choose Advanced Settings> WAN
- Change the WAN connection type to PPTP from the Basic Settings section
- For the three options offered below, you must select: Yes
- WAN should be enabled: Yes, Enable NAT: Yes, UPnP is enabled: Yes
- You must check “Obtain WAN IP automatically” in Yes
- In the WAN DNS menu, you must check “Connect to DNS server automatically” to “No” and insert DNS server 1 “8.8.8” and DNS server 2 “18.104.22.168”
- After that, go to the Account Settings menu and enter your username and password.
- Now, in the PPTP drop-down menu, select “Auto”; otherwise, you can also choose “MPPE 128” encryption
- Next, you would also like to enter the location of the VPN server you want to connect to. will ask your VPN provider for the simplest VPN server location available.
- Finally, press Apply to save your changes and restart your router.
That’s it, you have manually set up a VPN on your router. now you will simply connect your Apple TV to your newly configured router and access any geo-blocked content of your choice.
Method 2: Purchase a VPN router that has already been installed
If you don’t want to use the main method otherwise you found it difficult, you may find this method much easier. All you want can be a better-preconfigured VPN router and a touch of tinkering.
If you’re curious about buying a pre-configured router, you might find an honest deal on Flash Routers.com. They provide many preconfigured routers for almost all famous VPN providers.
Although keep in mind that buying preconfigured routers is usually very expensive. some of them can cost up to $ 300. That said, with the added cost, you’re getting much better support and convenience.
Method 3: Set up a virtual router
This Apple TV VPN setup method is easier than the ones mentioned above. This method is not only easy, but it also does not require any additional equipment.
This is what you will need.
- A Mac or Windows computer.
- You can also use any device that is capable of sharing your network.
- A VPN subscription of your choice.
On Windows, enable the Virtual Router
Before enabling the virtual router feature on your Windows machine, you would first like to confirm whether your device supports it.
Simply follow the measures below to verify this.
- Press the Windows key and sort in CMD within the search bar.
- Now, right-click on the prompt> Run as administrator.
- Now type netsh WLAN show drivers at the prompt and hit Enter.
- Then scroll down until you see the supported hosted network. If you say “Yes”, you will easily create a Wi-Fi access point on your Windows machine.
Now is the time to enable the virtual server. don’t worry, it’s pretty simple, just follow the steps below.
- While you’re in the command prompt, type netsh WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<MY-NETWORK> key=<MY-PASSWORD>.
- Now replace <MY-NETWORK< and <MY-PASSWORD>, you can change it to whatever you like. When you’re done, just hit “Enter”.
- Now you should see some text stating that the process of creating a virtual router is successful.
- Once you’re done with that, you need to turn the connection “On”. To do so, type in netsh WLAN start hostednetwork in Command Prompt and hit “Enter”.
- You should now see a message stating “The hosted network started”.
Now for the simple part, no more notices from now on.
- While inside the prompt, type netsh WLAN set hosts network mode = allow SSID = key =.
- 2. Now replace the location of the network you just created and also Ethernet “TAP-Windows Adapter V9”.
- 3. Now, right-click on the Ethernet “TAP-Windows Adapter V9”> Properties> Sharing tab and check the box that says, “Allow other network users to connect through this Internet connection. computer”.
- 4. Now, within an equivalent menu, use the drop-down menu located under “Home Network Connection” and choose the network you created earlier. When you’re done, just hit OK.
- Now launch the VPN application of your choice. For this tutorial, I am using ExpressVPN.
- confirm that you select the OpenVPN protocol and connect with a VPN server of your choice
That’s it, your Windows machine can now share your VPN reference with your Apple TV.
Enable Virtual router on Mac
Enabling the virtual router on a Mac is almost like Windows. Just follow the quick steps below.
If you prefer one more touch of setup, please confirm that you inspect this guide.
- Head to System Preferences on your Mac and then navigate to Network.
- Now use the More icon located at the bottom right of the screen and choose VPN.
- Finally, enter your provider’s credentials to make the connection and press Connect.
Method 4: Use a VPN without a router through Airplay
This is another fairly straightforward method. almost like the above method, you don’t need a router for this method either. Also, you may not have to find a VPN on Apple TV. Thanks to Apple’s clever ingenuity, you’ll connect an Apple TV to a VPN via the built-in Airplay feature.
This is what you will need:
- An iOS or Mac OS device that supports the Airplay function, that’s it.
Are you prepared with everything you’ll need? Simply follow the steps outlined below.
- The first thing is to subscribe to a VPN service of your choice, preferably the ones we discuss below.
- Once you’ve made up your mind, download the simplest VPN for iOS (iPhone, iPad, or Mac).
- Launch the VPN app and connect with a server location of your choice.
- Now launch any video that you would like to project on your Apple TV, say from Netflix or Amazon Prime.
- Then, mention the center and choose “Screen Mirroring”.
- Now select your Apple TV from the list and you are good to go.
That’s it, whatever you play on your Airplay-compatible device, it will project seamlessly on your Apple TV.
Method 5: Use Smart DNS proxy with your Apple TV
Although this is often the most publicized method online, it is not as safe as you might think. Of course, it helps you avoid geo-restrictions, but only up to a point.
Since setting up a DNS on your Apple TV only changes your geographic location and doesn’t encrypt your network traffic, you’re having a hard time unblocking mainstream VoD services. If you propose to watch Netflix, Hulu, and other similar services on your Apple TV, I suggest that you discover a VPN connection directly on your router as I showed you above.
Here are the steps to fix a sensible DNS proxy on your Apple TV:
- Go to the settings menu of your Apple TV> General and then select Network
- Now choose your Wi-Fi or Ethernet network connection
- Now go to Configure DNS and change it to Manual
- Now enter DNS Server or Smart DNS Proxy, if you don’t have one, you will get one from smartdnsproxy.com.
- Once you have entered your DNS and proxy settings, press confirm
- Now go to Settings> General and click on iTunes Store.
- Now, where it says Location, select the country of your choice.
- Go back to the more menu and cut your Apple TV
- As another step, disconnect the installation cable from the Apple TV and reconnect it.
That’s it, just turn on your Apple TV and enjoy the luxury.
Best 5 VPNs for Apple TV in 2021
Now that you simply have the skills to use VPN on Apple TV, the next question is: Which VPN do you have to use? While you may find multiple VPNs online, not all are easily set up or support Apple TV.
After testing around 50 VPNs, I have compiled an inventory of the simplest VPNs for Apple TV that provide the best return on your investment.
So here are the top 5 VPNs that will work with Apple TV in 2021:
ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Apple TV
ExpressVPN is one of the simplest VPNs for Apple TV. In fact, I am using ExpressVPN on my router as we speak. In my opinion, it offers one of the fastest and best setup experiences.
It offers more than 3000 servers spread over more than 90 countries. Because of these servers, it ranks collectively as the simplest VPN to stream on your Apple TV! It works in the simplest way with all your favorite streaming services. ExpressVPN for Apple TV has a three-step installation process. You don’t have to try to deceive anyone.
Just pick an idea, get a compatible router, and install the VPN on your router by following the easy setup steps. When it comes to server selection, it can be installed on more than 3000 servers in 94 countries. That’s enough to unlock any geo-restricted content in the world.
When it comes to user experience, it’s absolutely great. I am currently using ExpressVPN and can initially tell you that there is no streaming service that ExpressVPN cannot unblock for my Apple TV.
The setup procedure is pretty easy too, you will install it on your router, configure your DNS, or share a connection through your Mac or Windows computer.
With that said, ExpressVPN can be a bit pricey and can cost you around $ 6.67 / month, but ExpressVPN does offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so give it a try!
NordVPN – Popular Apple TV VPN
Another amazing VPN service that you will consider for your Apple TV is NordVPN. Almost like ExpressVPN, you will easily set up a VPN on your router or buy a pre-configured router as I showed you above.
One thing NordVPN offers so much better than ExpressVPN and just about any VPN within the industry is servers. If numbers are your thing, NordVPN has you covered.
You get access to over 5500 servers. Since geoblocking bypass is all about servers, having a large server park is certainly an advantage in itself. So if you use a VPN with Apple TV, NordVPN can easily search for geo-blocks.
Another thing that NordVPN offers is simultaneous connections. will protect up to six devices at a time. even if you put it on your router, it will still secure 5 other devices that you possibly have in your home.
The user experience is also phenomenal, no problem using it with my Apple TV. As for the installation, you are getting an equivalent option to ExpressVPN, either configure it on your router or share a connection. No VPN provider offers dedicated VPN apps for Apple TV.
When it comes to pricing, NordVPN is among the most affordable VPNs in the industry. It will only cost you $3.71/month. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you’ll be giving it a try for a full month!
Surfshark VPN – Fastest for Apple TV
If you want a powerful and faster VPN service for your Apple TV, maybe Surfshark is the VPN for you.
It is by far the most profitable VPN you will get right away. For less than $ 2.49 / month, you get industry-leading features like Kill Switch, powerful encryption, support for your router, and much more.
Speaking of router support, you will find Surfshark’s router setup tutorials here: AsusWRT, DD-WRT, and Tomato.
When it comes to servers, Surfshark offers around 1000 servers. Your server park may seem small, however since Surfshark may be relatively new, you will expect phenomenal connection speeds.
PureVPN – Editor’s choice for Apple TV
If you prefer an ideal mix between features and pricing, PureVPN is the one to urge. Right from the start, PureVPN offers a fast and refined VPN experience.
With other lesser-known VPNs, you sometimes experience a serious speed drop, however, with PureVPN the connection speeds are literally quite impressive. Almost like ExpressVPN, PureVPN also offers more than 6500 servers. Once again, having a large server park means maximum freedom.
One thing I really like about PureVPN is its setup guide for Apple TV. Regardless of which method you’d like to travel with, PureVPN has easy setup guides for all of them. And once you connect Apple TV to the VPN, you are ready to access restricted content that was previously unavailable to you.
Using a VPN on Apple TV can be a seamless experience with PureVPN. Not only that, the $3.33/mo value makes it the simplest low-cost VPN for Apple TV.
Ivacy – Secure VPN for Apple TV
Another very popular VPN that you will consider for your Apple TV is Ivacy. Ivacy, price-wise, is analogous to NordVPN, but it’s still a bit cheaper. Unlike ExpressVPN, which costs $ 1 / month, Ivacy only costs $ 1 / month. Performance is where things go crazy.
I can’t believe how good it is. The connection speeds are really fast and I didn’t notice any lag when streaming content on my Apple TV. The server selection is pretty good too, at the moment Ivacy offers 2000+ VPN servers in 100+ locations around the world. Thanks to these amazing features, it is also ranked # 1 on our largest torrent VPN list.
Ease of use is great too – you’ll be able to use a secure connection from any device that supports access point sharing or configure Ivacy directly on your router for use by your Apple TV. It also comes with a no-logs policy and a 31-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost – Budget VPN for IOS
The latest update to this list of the best Apple TV VPNs, we have CyberGhost. This is often a Romanian VPN service that comes with many powerful security measures like DNS leak protection, Kill Switch, and much more. CyberGhost is also one of the most secure VPNs out there. With over 6,600 secure servers and even SHA-2 authentication mechanisms, CyberGhost is probably the most important secure VPN you will ever have for your Apple TV.
That’s not all, CyberGhost also comes with an in-depth 45-day money-back guarantee and easy router setup, and a no-logs policy.
What is the benefit of using a VPN with Apple TV?
Aside from the fact that VPNs help improves your overall online privacy, the first reason they are used for Apple TV is to access geo-blocked content from other regions.
For example, Netflix content varies by region and many shows that are on US Netflix are not available elsewhere. So if you want to get access to those geo-restricted shows while watching Netflix on Apple TV, you will need a VPN for Apple TV Netflix.
Also, VPNs can help you bypass ISP throttling in case your provider limits your connection for streaming apps. Once you set up the VPN on the Apple TV, you are ready to reap these benefits in one fell swoop.
Is using a VPN on Apple TV safe?
Using a VPN to easily bypass geo-restrictions is not illegal in the least. However, streaming copyrighted material for free on your Apple TV is illegal and can get you in trouble. that’s if you get caught.
If you propose to stream pirated content on your Apple TV, a VPN for Apple TV is absolutely necessary. Since premium VPN providers offer strong encryption, your ISP cannot detect your online activities.
Your IP address remains anonymous and appears to be operating from a special location. Regardless of what you are doing on your Apple TV, your activities cannot be traced back to you.
Free VPN for Apple TV
Here’s the tricky part. It is very tempting to hire free VPN services instead of paid ones.
However, from experience, I can tell you that they are not worth it. Here is a couple of VPNs you shouldn’t consider for your Apple TV.
- VPN Book
- Hotspot Shield
This is because these are several of the VPNs with poor encryption standards and, in fact, they have been involved in the sale of user bandwidth and personal information. Nonetheless, there are still some legitimate free VPNs that you can just think of using on Apple TV.
Regional Availability of Apple TV
The largest amount of content on Apple TV is available in the US If you use the search function in other regions, Apple TV can only access significantly less content compared to the US. Unless you use an Apple TV VPN. As such, some features and content are exclusively available within the US Siri, Apple TV’s resident assistant, also understands the languages of the following regions:
- Australia (English)
- Canada (English, French)
- Germany (German)
- France (French)
- Mexico (Spanish)
- Netherlands (Dutch)
- Norway (Norwegian Bokmål)
- Japan (Japanese)
- Spain (Spanish)
- Sweden (Swedish)
- UK (English)
- US (English, Spanish)
So if you are outside of the US, you must use a VPN to vary your location to the US in order to form the main part of your Apple TV and access the full content libraries of your streaming apps.
Apple TV VPN Reddit
Reddit is my goto community for urging first-hand knowledge on just about anything.
Although it is absolutely doable, many people still think that it is impossible to use a VPN with Apple TV.
This is what a Reddit user asked.
Another Reddit user with the username Foley471 has this to mention.
Let’s now take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions about Apple TV VPNs.
How do I change my Apple TV’s IP address?
To change the IP address, go to “Settings” and click “Network”. In this way, you will explore details about your current network configuration. click on “Configure DNS” and then on the “Manual” button.
You’ll have to provide a custom DNS number now. After providing a DNS number, click the “Done” button and restart your Apple TV again.
What is Flashrouter?
Flash router is an enhanced router with advanced firmware that gives you a complete network of VPN coverage. It comes with built-in updates like OpenVPN, PPTP, wireless mode, Wake-on-LAN, and much more.
On Apple TV, how do I change the region?
To change the region on Apple TV, head to the settings option on your Apple TV> General> Region and choose a neighborhood.
Is Apple TV available in China?
Apple TV works in China, but much of the content and apps will not be available in China. You will have to use a VPN in conjunction with your Apple TV to fully utilize your TV streaming.
So there you have it, folks, this is how they usually make premium VPNs work alongside your Apple TV. Since you cannot directly install a VPN on the Apple TV, which of the above-mentioned methods do I recommend?
I would personally accompany you to buy a pre-configured router or share a connection through a Mac or PC. Once you consider an Apple TV VPN, confirm that the provider offers support for it. I suggest you go along with only the simplest VPN for Apple TV mentioned above.
Not only do they offer inexpensive plans, but they are also designed to provide maximum anonymity and freedom online. And if you don’t want to spend that much, we have amazing VPN deals and thus the best Christmas VPN deals for 2020 for you too!
To Read more similar articles click here
Thanks for visiting our Website. If you appreciate our work, kindly show us some support in our comments section 🙂